Published by Classic FM: ‘Essential, or not?’ – survey dismisses the role of the creative industries during pandemic times.
In an article over the weekend, Singapore’s The Sunday Times revealed the results of a survey on people’s perceptions of essential jobs during a pandemic.
In the poll, the paper asked participants to rank what they saw as the most essential and non-essential jobs. The ‘top five essential jobs’ were taken by healthcare workers, cleaners, essential retail, and other front-line roles.
However, the survey’s list of the ‘top five non-essential jobs’ caused a stir. Telemarketers, social media managers, PR specialists and business consultants all rank as disposable roles at a time of crisis. And at the top of the list is ‘artists’.
Yes, writers, actors, painters, dancers, musicians, composers, creatives, that’s you. But outside of this survey, the world could not disagree more.
According to Dictionary.com
Non-Essential / Nonessential / Not Essential can be defined as the following:
A nonessential thing or person.
According to Dictionary.com Essential can be defined as the following:
- Absolutely necessary; indispensable:Discipline is essential in an army.
- Pertaining to or constituting the essence of a thing.
- Noting or containing an essence of a plant, drug, etc.
- Being such by its very nature or in the highest sense; natural; spontaneous:essential happiness.
- (of a singularity of a function of a complex variable) noting that the Laurent series at the point has an infinite number of terms with negative powers.
- (of a discontinuity) noting that the function is discontinuous and has no limit at the point.Compare removable(def 2).
A basic, indispensable, or necessary element; chief point:Concentrate on essentials rather than details.